Science and Research Resources
Proposed additions for this page should be forwarded to the Chair of the Science Committee
Major Private Sources of Grant Funding
- National Council for Research on Women
- American Psychological Foundation - three annual LGBT research awards
- LAMBDA Educational Research Foundation
- Lesbian Health Fund of the GLMA - supports a wide range of medical research such as, rates and risk factors for cancers, infections, and diseases among lesbians, Access to the health care system, Mental health concerns of lesbians and their families
- Dibble/DeJoseph Lesbian Health Research Award
Other National Foundations
Funding for Non-Profits and Community Organizing
- Directory of Funders of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Programs
- Gill Foundation - Funds community projects nationally, not so much re research
- Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
- List of Women-focused foundations
Guidance for Doing LGBT research
Sites, articles,and guides on different aspects of conducting LGBT focused research.
- Education, Research, and Practice in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered Psychology,A Resource Manual - book
- Lesbian Health Research Center at the U of CA
- Research Methods with Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Populations - special issue of the Journal of Gay & Lesbian Social Services, 3/4
- Challenges for Researchers Studying Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Populations - text of conference symposium
- Institute for Gay and Lesbian Strategic Studies
- UIC’s Lesbian, Gay, Bi, and Transgender Literature, A Research Guide
- Multicultural Resources for doing academic research, GLB
- Index of Reference Books and Sources for “Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Studies”
- Center for Research on Health and Sexual Orientation
- Ethical Research and Evidence-Based Practice for Lesbians and Gay Men - Ontario Public Health Association
- Sexual Orientation Research Phase 1: A Review of Methodological Approaches - Overview, from Scotland
- Sexual Orientation Research, Phase 2: The Future of LGBT Research, perspectives of community organizations - Overview, from Scotland
- A Review of the Professional Literature and Research Needs for LGBT youth of color
- The status of research (and ideas for) regarding LGBT students on campus
- Center for the Study of Sexual Minorities in the Military
- Twenty Years of Public Health Research: Inclusion of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Populations
- LGBT Family Research - resources page
- Sigma Health - A UK research group focused on research re HIV, sexuality, LGBT health and well being.
- Avoiding Heterosexist Bias in Psychological Research
Educational & Scholarship Opportunities for Researchers in Training
Sites for Facts and Figures
- Gay Demographics - US and other countries.
- Association of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Psychologies - of Europe.
- Gregory Herek’s resource page - LGBT and homophobia research, education, and policy.
- GLBT Alliance in Social and Personality Psychology (GASP) Measures Database - A searchable database of scales useful for LGBT research developed by Lisa Diamond at the University of Utah. This free public resource basically provides "one-stop shopping" for researchers seeking measures designed for lesbian/gay/bisexual issues or populations. You can browse the entire list, or you can search for measures focusing on particular topics, such as (for example) internalized homophobia or identity development. For each measure, we have included as much information as we were able to obtain, including its general intent, length, original citation, detailed psychometric information, contact information for the author, etc. When possible, we have included the scale itself.
- What we're doing > Science Committee